Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Day 7: November 7, 2013

Teaching Career:
To continue the theme of gratefulness… I am blessed to teach at a small private school, led by a compassionate and supportive administration.  In 2004 they were willing to hire me, despite my lack of certification or proper education in my content area (I am a French and Political Science major teaching English literature and composition…. but that is a subject for another post).  We have shared stressful trials and joyous triumphs and through it all I have always been encouraged, supported, and accepted.  

I have taught as many as nine classes a year (that is… nine different classes with nine different preps) and as few as two.  I have taught all grade levels - from 3rd grade grammar to English Comp for college credit.  And while the majority of the classes have been in the English department,  I have also taught Computer Applications, Creative Writing, and even French.  I have been privileged to lead two different groups of students on an overseas trip to London, and I even began working towards a Master's degree.  The last decade has been consumed with this "part time" teaching job, and I would not have it any other way.

This year I requested, and was granted, the opportunity to scale back my workload.  I currently teach three classes on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.  These are the classes I enjoy most, and the schedule is perfect.  I have been afforded the freedom to pursue other personal interests and have taken full advantage of each and every moment.  There are times that I want to pinch myself to see if in fact I am dreaming….

This is a photo of the church next door … not the church where I teach.  But the sun illuminated the trees in such a way as to showcase the fall foliage, and the clear blue sky contrasted with the gleaming white steeple in such a way that I could not help but feel blessed beyond measure:  I not only have a job, but one that I love; I have friends and family; I have health; and I am free to worship without fear of persecution.  There is nothing more I need, and quite frankly, little else that I want.  I am fortunate to live such a contented life.


No comments:

Post a Comment